What does a Toned Female Body look like? What does it mean to be toned?
Whenever someone says they want to “get toned”, they are basically just saying that they want their muscles to be more visible than they currently are. Therefore, to get a toned female body you have to have a low enough body fat percentage and sufficient muscle mass, in order for the muscle to be visible.
The less fat covering your muscles, the more toned and defined you will look. On the other hand, if you have more fat covering your muscles or if you lack muscle, the less visible your muscles will be and the less “toned” you will appear.
The truth about being toned is that you cannot quantify it. However, simply put, Muscle – Fat = Toned. What does a toned body look like? We usually describe a body as toned when it looks a certain way. It results from;
- Having low levels of body fat
- Having enough muscle
Everybody is completely unique and therefore ways to achieve a toned body will vary from person to person, however in general terms your lifestyle, precisely how you train, your nutrition, and how much you move will determine your results.
How to get a lean body : Cardio Exercise for a Toned Body
The most common reason why someone does not feel as toned as they would like is because they are carrying a higher percentage of body fat. This layer of fat sits on top of the muscle that they would like to see. To burn body fat a good cardio regime is recommended. You’ll need to burn fat every day for long-term weight loss results. Cardiovascular exercise increases your heart rate and body temperature. This is because your body needs to supply oxygen to the muscles and the extra work requires your body to make more ATP (adenosine triphosphate). This substance gives you energy for your workout.
When you eat, your body digests the nutrients from your food and creates ATP. As a result of this process you burn more calories and also gain energy from both fat and carbohydrates. The body will use first carbohydrates for fuel before it consumes fat.
Cardio is one of the best ways to burn extra calories. Most people can burn up to1000 calories in 1–2 hours, depending on their running speed. An individual weighing 90.7kg, jogging at 7 mph for an hour will burn 1,000 calories. An individual weighing 63.5kg, jogging at 6mph will burn 1,000 calories in roughly 2 and a half hours. However, it is not necessary to burn 1000 extra calories in a day to see a good difference. You should always start small and be consistent! Consistency will pay dividends!!
Check your BMI by clicking here.
Click here for A Beginner’s Treadmill Workout.
Best Fat Burning Exercises for Women
If you’re a busy woman who may be a mother, have a career and who still needs time left over for your partner, it’s not always easy to find time to exercise. The difficulty therefore, is getting the time to achieve that lean toned female body. It you’re looking for fat burning exercises to fit that busy life, the best ones involve aerobic activity that gets the heart pumping. Here are some great exercises to help you get that toned female body!
* Running – Even though not everyone can practice running safely (check with your doctor first), running is still one of the best ways to burn a lot of calories fast. Try sprinting fast for twenty seconds, then jogging at a slower pace for a minute and repeat.
* Fast Walking – A safer method of burning calories fast is walking quickly. There is a lot less impact, but you won’t be able to cover as much ground. However, the safety can’t be beat as you won’t cause any damage to your joints with fast walking.
* Swimming – If you need a super low impact form of exercise that can burn a lot of fat, try swimming. But, you can’t just do any kind of swimming. Shoot for moves that cause you to use all of your body, your arms and your legs such as the butterfly stroke and the breast stroke, so that you can burn the most calories and fat in each movement.
* Aerobics – You know the good old-fashioned dance aerobics that your momma used to do? It is popular for a reason: it works. It’s also fun to do and you can burn an enormous amount of calories in a short period of time if you make large, exaggerated movements.
* Dance – Almost any sort of dancing is a great calorie burner. If you wonder why you were skinny “back in the day,” it is probably due to going out dancing on the weekend. Dancing is fun to do. You want to do dances that cause you to breathe hard and sweat. Don’t be shy either; you don’t even need a partner. You just need good music and a little space in your living room.
* Spinning – This is a type of bike riding where the bike doesn’t actually move, and you have a leader running you through the paces in super-fast intervals with fast intervals. This is for advanced exercise veterans and not for the infirm.
* Jumping Jacks – The exercise you did in PE during elementary school is actually an excellent fat burner. You need to make big movements and move quickly to get the full effect. Try doing three sets of 100 reps to get your day moving.
* Jump Rope – This is an excellent way to burn fat for anyone. You can move very quickly and try different types of moves from jumping, to skipping, to one leg or two. Shoot for three sets of 100 reps.
* Rebounding – Made popular by astronauts, this form of exercising which requires that the exerciser jump up and down on a small trampoline has great benefits outside of fat burning. It works every muscle in the body and burns an enormous amount of calories – twice as much as running in some cases, without the stress on the body.
Myth – Certain types of workouts are specifically for women and not men because they will make you lean and toned and feminine.
Muscle Definition : How to get defined muscles
If you lack muscle then you will want to build more muscle. Sometimes a person will have a low enough body fat percentage, but they’re lacking a sufficient amount of muscle mass. This will give the appearance of being “skinny” rather than toned.
To increase your muscle tone, you will need to engage in a weight-training program designed to increase the size of your muscle. This involves completing high-volume weight-training sessions. As you lift weights you increase the neural drive that stimulates your muscles to contract. This increase in efficiency leads to an increase in strength. This can take several weeks or months of consistent exercise before you notice your muscles getting bigger. You will need patience and persistence but your body will adapt to the stimulus and trigger improvement in muscle tone and an increase in muscle size.
Myth 1 – Heavy weights create big and bulky muscle, whereas lighter weights that are not as challenging create “toned” muscle.
Myth 2 – Lower reps with heavy weights make your muscles bulkier but higher reps with lighter weights sculpt your muscles.
The truth is the only thing you can do to a muscle is make it bigger or smaller.
To get toned, you need less fat and/or more muscle!
The reality is that you can only lose fat from your entire body as a whole. Exactly where on your body you lose it from first is predetermined by your genetics. Workouts, exercises, or the amount of weight you lift will not change this.
Strength Training Burns Fat
While the best way to burn fat is through aerobic exercise, you can also burn fat with certain types of strength training. The reason is that the more muscle you have, the more fat you can burn though normal activities. You can also combine aerobic exercise with strength training to get a double whammy effect against fat.
Don’t Worry about Bulking Up
Strength training doesn’t necessarily have to bulk you up. It can actually help you achieve a toned female body and build your muscles just enough to help hold your body in more perfect alignment. Doing so can help you appear thinner and reduce body fat at the same time.
Try Circuit Training
This is something you can find at different studios that involve doing each machine for a specific period of time – usually at a fast pace. It’s a good way to get both cardio in and strength training. Usually there is little or no rest in between each machine and exercise are done in between machines.
Isometric Weight Training
This is a type of resistance training where you use the weights by holding them at certain angles for 30 seconds to one minute instead of doing faster repetitions. This kind of strength training can also be done without weights. For instance, doing planks works well too. It increases strength and stamina.
High Volume Training
This type of strength training involves working one muscle group per week, concentrating on cardiovascular the rest of the time. This gives the muscle groups ample time to recover allowing for the best and most efficient building of strength training without bulking up your muscles. You can have long, lean muscles with high volume training. A toned female body is well within your reach.
Doing core strength training exercises such as Pilates and yoga will help your body become a fat burning furnace. Try hot yoga, or purchase a Pilates machine to use at home for no excuse workouts that build endurance while building strength. The better shape your core is in, the better your fitness level will be and the more fat you’ll burn.
For a Strength training workout click here
Besides these exercises, ensure that you drink enough water, eat less fat, and watch your caloric intake. However, don’t cut your calories too much to avoid the starvation effect that causes your body to shut down on its fat burning efforts!!
Remember that small steps each day can add up to big results after a period of time. If you follow these tips, you won’t be in the same place six months from now that you are in today!!
Toned Female Body – Small Steps Every Day
1. Move around Every Day – Exercise is an important component in burning fat. Do whatever you can to keep moving during the day. If you have a sedentary job, consider asking your boss for a stand-up desk or a treadmill desk. Studies show that sitting more than four hours a day is deadly.
2. Eat a Healthy Breakfast – When you get up, within about an hour of rising be sure to eat a healthy breakfast such as steel cut oats and berries. Add some almond milk for added delicious flavor and nutrition.
3. Get in Daily Cardio – Aside from purposeful movement every day during work, it’s important to add in purposeful cardio for at least 30 minutes a day. You want your heart rate up for about 30 minutes through running, fast walking, dancing or other movement. It should be hard to carry on a normal conversation and impossible to sing if you’re getting in the right level of cardio.
4. Reduce Stress – Stress can cause a build-up of body fat due to increased production of cortisol which tends to cause fat to build up around the belly. People with a high level of belly fat are more likely to have cardiovascular issues and/or diabetes. Try meditation, prayer, silent reading and other stress-reducing activities.
5. Add in Strength Training – Any type of resistance training can help you build your strength, whether by resistance bands or weight lifting. You don’t have to build bulky muscles. You can do daily planks for your strength training if you want to.
6. Eat More Vegetables – Try filling half your plate with vegetables without added fat, salt or sugar. Vegetables of all kinds are good for you. There are no “bad” veggies. Not even potatoes are bad for you. It’s what you put on them that could be bad.
7. Eat More Fruit – Unfortunately, fruit like bananas and avocado have gotten a bad rap due to advertising by the processed food industry. But, the truth is, fruit is good for you and you should eat it in abundance.
8. Supplement Where Needed – No matter how good a diet you eat, there are times you may need to add supplements. The very best way to know is to get tested by your doctor to find out where your levels are. Ask them to look at your vitamin B12 and D levels specifically.
9. Get Enough Sleep – Sleep is very important to aid in burning fat and overall weight loss. Most people need at least 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night. But, the best way to figure out how much sleep you need is to go to bed earlier and earlier each night until you can wake up consistently at the time you need to rise for work each day without an alarm.
10. Drink Plenty of Water – Hydration is very important for proper digestion of nutrients, as well as eliminating fat. Be sure to drink at least eight glasses of water a day, and drink more when you sweat, ingest caffeine or during dry weather.
Burning fat is easy when you know how. The important thing to remember is to do at least one or two things each day to work towards your goal of that toned female body. Avoid doing things that are contrary to your goal and you will end up successful.
The Best Fat Burning Foods to Eat
Believe it or not, there are foods that you can eat that will increase the amount of fat your burn and that, along with exercise, can turn your body into a fat burning machine that burns fat 24/7. Try adding these foods to your daily diet for best results.
1. Whole Grains – Steel cut oats, sprouted grains, and cracked wheat are all good grains to consume each day. One cup per day will be enough to fill you up and provide excellent fat burning properties.
2. Grapefruit – Start your meals with half a grapefruit to take advantage of the fat burning effects and boost your weight loss.
3. Nuts and Seeds – Full of good fats, nuts can fill you up, give you added nutrition and improve satiety. Be careful, though; nuts are high in fat. One handful a day is plenty. Seeds like flax, sunflower, and hemp are lower in fat, high in Omega 3s and 6s and super good for you.
4. Cinnamon – This spice helps thin the blood, boosts body heat, and burns calories and fat when added to your food. Try making a tea with hot water, lemon and cinnamon with a little honey to help it all go down.
5. Green Tea – Full of beneficial antioxidants and something called epigallocatechin gallate, green tea can boost metabolism and aid in burning fat. Be careful about the caffeine.
6. Berries – Great as an anti-inflammatory and full of resveratrol which boosts metabolism and aids in weight loss. They’re also low in calories, so eat all you care to.
7. Beans and Legumes – You can eat a lot more beans and legumes than you might think. They are high in protein and other essential nutrients. Aim to have a cup every day.
8. Leafy Greens – You can eat a lot of leafy greens without ever having to worry about how much you’re eating. Prepare them without adding fat with some balsamic vinegar, shredded carrots, and liquid smoke and they’ll taste just like Mom’s. You should shoot for eating a pound or more of leafy greens each day.
9. Fatty Fruit – Coconut, olives and avocado are really good foods to eat that will not only fill you up, but also give you added nutrition and healthy fat which will curb hunger and fill you up on fewer calories.
Burning fat is a full-time job, and adding these foods to your diet on a daily basis will make it a lot easier to burn more fat, faster. Start today with one food at a time, until you’re enjoying all of these foods every day.
What Not to Do When Trying to Burn Fat
If you’re not seeing results in your fat burning regime, there are likely some things that you may be doing wrong that is preventing you from getting that toned female body. If you want to know what not to do when trying to burn fat, read on.
1. Not Eating Enough Calories – You should know how many calories you need to eat per day to maintain a certain weight. Choose to use your goal weight as your calorie range for best results.
2. Eating Too Many Calories – Many people do not track their calories at all, and therefore they eat too many calories. Even if you eat all healthy food, you can still eat too many calories and not burn fat.
3. Not Eating the Right Amount of Protein – You can both eat too little protein and too much protein. Shoot for about 20 to 30 percent of your daily calories to be healthy protein. Remember that you can get protein from vegetables, fruit, beans, legumes and nuts in addition to fish and lean meat.
For Protein recipes check out myprotein.com
4. Not Eating Enough Vegetables – Try filling half of your plate with vegetables. The great thing about veggies is that they are very low in calories so you can eat a high volume of them without breaking your calorie bank.
5. Not Eating Enough Fruit – The sugar in fruit is not bad for you. When you feel like eating a snack or something sweet and you have the calories to spare, eat fruit. It’ll give you energy plus vitamins and minerals.
For Fruit Smoothie recipes check out archute.com
6. Not Eating Enough Whole Grains – Don’t give up grains just because you’re trying to burn fat. Steel cut oats, quinoa, cracked wheat, and other whole grains are good for you in measured serving sizes.
7. You Drink Your Calories – To burn fat, don’t drink your calories. Avoid drinking juice, sweetened coffee or tea, and other calorie laden drinks in favor of fresh filtered calorie free water.
8. You Eat “Calorie Free” Fake Food – Don’t fool yourself into thinking you can drink diet soda, and use fake zero calorie sweeteners and still burn fat. These additives can not only be dangerous but studies also show that people who use them tend to be fatter, not thinner.
9. You Avoid Exercise Entirely – You can’t burn fat and be a couch potato. Even if you have health issues that keep you from doing very strenuous activities, you can still move around in your chair and get moving somehow.
10. You Don’t Do Enough Cardio – Cardio is essential to burning fat. If you have health issues that prevent you from doing hard enough cardio, you’ll need to eat fewer calories to make up for it. But you can also try breathing exercises that can increase your oxygen intake and help burn fat.
11. You Are Too Stressed Out – If you have a lot of stress in your life, it will manifest itself as added fat, usually on your belly. Try to find a way to a way to de-stress every day. Try yoga, meditation or even prayer to take you out of your worries and calm yourself.
To try a stress quiz go to psychcentral.com
12. You Don’t Get Enough Sleep – Most people need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night. It’s important that you schedule your life so that on most nights you can accomplish this task, because not doing so can affect your hormone levels and cause your fat burning to stall that will prevent you getting a toned female body.
Knowing what not to do is as important as knowing what to do when it comes to burning fat and losing weight. Being healthy is about taking action to do more of the right things, and fewer of the wrong things every day.
Steps to get a Toned Female Body
- Understand this simple process – [Muscle – Fat = Tone]
- Be specific at what you need to improve. Do you have too much body fat? Do you lack muscle? Is it a combination of the two?
- Take the appropriate action. Implement a cardio routine, a strength training routine or a combination of the two.
- Make sure your diet compliments your training.
- Get enough sleep and rest. Overtraining can lead to injury and illness and be detrimental to your goals. Take it step by step and be consistent! Now go get that toned female body!
You can do it!
Disclosure: Some of the links on this website are affiliate links, which means that I may earn a commission if you click on the link or make a purchase using the link. When you make a purchase, the price you pay will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link. By using the affiliate links, you are helping support ilove-fitness.com, and I genuinely appreciate your support.